× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Peak CAN dongle on Windows

More
3 years 11 months ago #278 by Jamo
Peak CAN dongle on Windows was created by Jamo
Hi, I would like to use Savvycan with my peak can dongle. I have tried to select it, in the connections dialog, but it will not connect. I notice that the ports drop down is blank, is that the problem?. Or am i supposed to enter some value in here. The Peak dongle is working when i use its own program (Pcan viewer). Thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #279 by collink
Replied by collink on topic Peak CAN dongle on Windows
In theory it should be possible to use a PeakCAN adapter but I don't have one to test. It appears that you need both the peakcan drivers (which it sounds like you have) and to specify the device you want to connect to. It looks like you should use "usb0" as the device.

doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtserialbus-peakcan-overview.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #281 by Jamo
Replied by Jamo on topic Peak CAN dongle on Windows
First of all, thank you for your help and creating the program. I now have my peak usb dongle working in SavvyCan on Windows, and if it helps here is what I needed to do:
I should have read the instructions a bit more carefully.

The Peak can plug in for QT requires PCAN device drivers AND PCanBasic.dll.
"This plugin requires the PCAN device drivers and the PCAN-Basic library version 4.0.0 or higher on Windows (pcanbasic.dll) ..."

If you are using Pcan viewer you will have installed the driver but not the PCANBasic.dll

However, PCANBasic.dll is not installed when the Peak drivers are installed. This must be installed manually (This is stated in the Readme file in PCANBasic download). Note that Savvycan is a 32 bit program, so take the 32 bit DLL. To do this, you just copy the dll. The instructions say to copy the dll to Windows\System32, however I also found that the DLL is needed in the SavvyCan application directory so put a copy there too.

Now when you create the connection, the port is automatically set to usb0, and it says connected. Just set the bit rate up and off you go.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Jamo. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: lexicon, Frank, bapH

Time to create page: 0.029 seconds