× This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

CANdapter Support

• NiallDarwin
  • NiallDarwin's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #234 by NiallDarwin
CANdapter Support was created by NiallDarwin
Hi,
I'm trying to use SavvyCAN with a 'CANdapter' device from Ewert. It didn't work straight away and there seems to be no search results on the web for SavvyCAN CANdapter so I thought I'd ask if it's possible. That way I should at the very least create a Google whack :)

If anyone knows how to make it work as-is I'm all ears. If not, can it be something added to a future release?

Thanks,
Niall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #235 by collink
Replied by collink on topic CANdapter Support
Well, I was not familiar with that adapter. Unfortunately there are many, many adapters out there and they rarely work the same way. But, I looked up that adapter and it seems to utilize the "LAWICEL" serial protocol. They don't say that explicitly but I recognize the command format. As such, if you are using LINUX you should be able to use slcan to turn the adapter into a socketcan device and then use it in SavvyCAN that way. Otherwise I might add support for LAWICEL directly as it actually is somewhat of a pseudo-standard.

• NiallDarwin
  • NiallDarwin's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #236 by NiallDarwin
Replied by NiallDarwin on topic CANdapter Support
Thank you for the quick response. I don't doubt that there's a plethora of adapters out there all ever so slightly different. Sadly I'm not so smart as to be using Linux; I'm on a Win 7 machine. I'll check my options for supported adapters. The EVTV ones look great but I'd like to get something working sooner so hopefully I can source something within NZ.
Thanks again for the quick answer.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by NiallDarwin. Reason: Bad grammrs 'n stuff

More
4 years 7 months ago #243 by bepobalote
Replied by bepobalote on topic CANdapter Support
being a well known and established protocol (LAWICEL) I would be really grateful if you will add support to such opensource CAN dongles!

Thanks in advance!

Bepo.

More
4 years 7 months ago #244 by collink
Replied by collink on topic CANdapter Support
Yes, it is about as close to the "standard" communications protocol as we'll probably ever see for CAN. I suppose socketcan is even more standard but it is only on LINUX so lawicel certainly has better support for cross platform uses.

I'm plenty familiar with LAWICEL. Most of the EVTV and Macchina devices even have LAWICEL support for the CAN capture firmware. I just haven't gotten around to adding the support to the SavvyCAN side yet. But, I'm certainly not ruling it out.

More
4 years 7 months ago #245 by bepobalote
Replied by bepobalote on topic CANdapter Support
In which module(s) of the source files are implemented the interface with the other dongles?
Maybe I can try to take a look and see if I'm able to implement a "patch" for the LAWICEL protocol.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds